-->

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Quintana Roo & The Yucatan

Having just had our brilliant experience in Cuba, it was time to explore the Quintana Roo state of Mexico.  We got organised with a couple of nights in Cancun where we learnt about cyclone Yasi and made some late night phone calls to Heath to ensure that everything was okay on the home front.  Once satisfied that all was good, we left Cancun bound for Isla Mujeres.

We caught a ferry from Cancun to Isla Mujeres where we made our way to the Poc-Na Hostel.  This hostel was amazing - right on it's very own beach.  We set up our tent in a sanded court yard with hammocks hanging from palm trees - it was amazing.  I soon made friends with everyone around and even set up my own little shop, selling coconuts and other paraphenalia I had found lying around.  I made about 20 pesos all up (around $2), which isn't bad!!  I soon fell in love with Isla Mujeres and especially the people at our hostel.  Many of them had been living there for months (some even years), where they had got jobs painting murals, working the bar or teaching yoga so they could stay there for free.  I told mum that when I grow up I am going to come back and work and live there!!


While at Isla Mujeres we visted a really cool turtle farm where they breed sea turtles to release into the ocean.  They were so cute and I even got to hold one!!  Unfortunately, when we were outside my hat blew off into one of the big turtle enclosures... luckily a nice young man offered to swim in there to get it for us... Mum thought it appropriate to give him a small tip ...  she was not happy when two hours later my hat mysteriously disappeared while walking to the beach!!  After that we went to a gorgeous little beach with big iguanas and colourful fish.  We did some snorkelling but I was a bit scared of the big fish!!

After three nights in Isla Mujeres, we headed back to Cancun and from there made our way to the beachside town of Tulum.  Here we stayed in cute little huts on the beach where we spent the days swimming in the gorgeous Carribean water.  We visited some ancient ruins that perch up on a cliff top overlooking the water... It was very spectacular!!  After the ruins we went for a swim where I made some friends while having fun and getting dumped by big waves.


On our last day in Tulum we headed into town to get some washing done, only to be greeted by a massive, massive downpour... We got saturated!!  I had to get into my undies in a restraunt because I was so wet and cold - luckily a nice man gave me a singlet to put on so I didn't have to sit there half naked...  My "Zazhil Kin" singlet is now my new nighty!  Once the rain eased, mum went out and bought me a rain coat.

Well, after that the rain seemed to follow us. The next day we left for a bus headed to Vallodolid via the Coba ruins.  The day was fine and the Coba ruins were pretty cool.  We had to walk from ruin to ruin through the bush.  I felt like I was an explorer searching for lost treasures and civilisations.  Once we got to Vallodolid, however, the rain was back and set in for the next few days.  I had my rain coat, so the next mission was to get one for mum.  After much walking and searching and getting soaked on the part of mum, we finally found one.  It came in very handy the next day when we went to teh Chichen Itza ruins on route to Merida.  It was very rainy and the ruins were a bit of a disappointed (considering they are meant to be one of the best in Mexico).

Upon arrival in Merida we stayed there for two nights, visting the markets and making friends.  We have started to run in to familiar faces travelling on the same route as we are.  On our last day in Merida we went to the Uxmal ruins which were really cool.  We got to climb up a huge temple (it was a bit scary up the top!) where the views were amazing.  When we arrived back in Merida there was a big fair on with live music, lots of taco stalls and craft stallys too... We had fun exploring there until we had to leave to catch the overnight bus to  San Cristobal.  The bus ride was going well - we got on at 7.15 and there was a kids movie in English on (a very rare combination!), after which was the perfect time for sleep.  The seats were comfy recliners and mum and I drifted into the best sleep one can possibly have on a bus.  The trip was rating as one of our best ever, until we made a stop at 3.00 in the morning in Palenque.  We supposed this was the bus drivers rest stop and Mum thought she heard the words quarenta cinco (45) minutes being muttered through the loud speaker... So we got off, stretched our legs and and enjoyed the break... However, 45 minutes came and went and the bus driver showed no indication of continuing our journey any time soon... so an hour came and went and we asked the bus driver when we could expect to be leaving. His reply? "5.45"...  So we had to stop there for nearly three hour, for what reason, we have no idea...  By this time we were tired and grumpy and could no way sleep on a stationary bus.  Thank god for the MacBook... out it came and on went Legally Blonde... just what we needed to whittle away the time... In the end, we finally made it to San Cristobal - 3 hours late but, it was well worth it.




As we were winding our way up the lush green mountains early in the morning, I knew we were going to be in for a treat when we arrived at our destination.  Fog and clouds were rolling around the mountains and I cold smell the cool crisp air.  When we arrived in San Cristobal we were not dissappointed.  Beautiful cobble stone streets, Spanish architecture and Mayans in traditional dress everywhere.  The place is amazing!  We will let you know what we got up to in San Cristobal in our next post...

No comments: